According to Insight's newly-released market analysis report, "The All-Optical Network: The Roles of Hybrid Transfer Nodes for Optimization in SONET, DWDM and MPLS Metro and Long Haul Networks 2008-2013," the advantages of all-optical networking includes greater flexibility in routing and switching optical signals, low cost, zero-interference processing of signals at intermediate nodes, and the elimination of optical-electronic-optical conversion of signals.
What does O-E-O stand for?
O-E-O stands for Optical-Electronic-Optical (switch)
This definition appears somewhat frequently and is found in the following Acronym Finder categories:
- Information technology (IT) and computers
- Science, medicine, engineering, etc.
We have 28 other meanings of O-E-O in our Acronym Attic
- Oxidizer Group 3
- Octal to Binary
- Originating Basic Call State Model
- Osaka Business and Investment Center (Japan)
- O-type Backward-Wave Oscillator
- Optical Code Division Multiple Access
- Optical Carrier-Suppressed Single Sideband (also seen as OCS-SSB)
- Octal to Decimal
- Zero Dimensional
- Off-Load Day (US DoD)
- Ornamental Fish Information Service Highlights
- Orientation Flight
- Obese With Impaired Glucose Tolerance
- Organizational Level (Maintenance)
- Optical Line Terminating Multiplexer (also abbreviated OLTM)
- Outstanding North American Agility Trial Champion (Double NATCH)
- Optimum Non-Coherent Decision Feedback
- Original Negative (cinematography)
- Kingside Castle (chess notation)
- Owner Operator (trucking industry; also seen as O/O)
Samples in periodicals archive:
OEO is not a new breakfast cereal - it stands for Optical-Electronic-Optical.
In a separate announcement, MRV also debuted a Gigabit / 10-Gigabit Metro Ethernet switching module for the LambdaDriver, making it the industry's first packet optical networking solution to support both ROADM (all optical - or OOO) and optical-electronic-optical (OEO) cross connect functionality in the same chassis.
The OSN regenerator provides an optical-electronic-optical (O/E/O) function that enables it to be used at terminal sites as a transponder for converting short-reach (or legacy) optics into long-reach optics or as a regenerator at line sites.
Noam Lotan, president and CEO, MRV Communications, commented, "The development of Optical Crossing's SOAs is a step forward in the development of all-optical networks, as it will allow signals to remain in the optical domain and reduce the number of optical-electronic-optical (OEO) conversions required in a network.
These products are believed to be important to the future expansion of fiber optic networks since they allow signals to remain in the optical realm, thereby avoiding the optical-electronic-optical conversion of traditional switches.
The regenerator has an optical-electronic-optical (O/E/O) function that enables it to be used at terminal sites as a transponder for converting short-reach optics into long-reach optics or as a regenerator at line sites.
These products are believed to be important to the future expansion of fibre optic networks since they allow signals to remain in the optical realm, thereby avoiding the optical-electronic-optical conversion of traditional switches.