The boys, both seven when treatment began in France, are beset with X-linked adrenoleukodystrophy, or ALD, a hereditary brain disease that slowly strips away layers of fatty acids protecting nerve fibres in the brain.
What does X-ALD stand for?
X-ALD stands for X-Linked Adrenoleukodystrophy (disease)
This definition appears very rarely and is found in the following Acronym Finder categories:
- Science, medicine, engineering, etc.
- Xerox Corporation
- Energetic High-Frequency Electromagnetic Radiation
- Experiment and Development Flotilla (landing craft; US Navy)
- Statistical Exchange Method
- X(Alpha)-Multiple Scattering
- X(Alpha) Scattered-Wave Method
- Intermittent Exotropia at Distance (walleye; ophthalmology)
- Intermittent Exotropia at Near (walleye; ophthalmology)
- Xanthine Plus Xanthine Oxidase
- XML Active Content Technologies Council
- Microsoft console game system
- Extraterrestrial Combat Unit (game)
- Experimental-Crew Return Vehicle (X-38 International Space Station Lifeboat; aka CRV, XCRV, X-38)
- X-Entertainment (website)
- eXperimental û Fire Integration Support Team
- Cross-correlation Frequency Resolved Optical Gating
- eXempt from the General Declassification Schedule
- Xbar Generator
Samples in periodicals archive:
Identification of X-linked Adrenoleukodystrophy at Birth Allows for Early Intervention, Improved Outcomes for Males With Rare Genetic Disorder BALTIMORE, Sept.
Peroxisomal disorders can be categorized as (a) single peroxisomal enzyme deficiencies, including X-linked adrenoleukodystrophy (X-ALD) and disorders attributable to defects in one of the peroxisomal (3-oxidation enzymes, such as acyl-CoA oxidase (AOX) deficiency and bifunctional protein (DBP) deficiency; and (b) disorders attributable to defects in peroxisome biogenesis.
today presented additional data from a pilot study treating X-linked adrenoleukodystrophy (ALD) at the American Society of Gene and Cell Therapy's 13th Annual Meeting.
CARES Foundation), Short Hills, NJ - for a clinical nurse practitioner/CAH natural history protocol --Myelin Project in Dunn Loring, VA for research into pharmacological gene therapy in X-linked adrenoleukodystrophy --Myelin Project in Dunn Loring, VA to fund research for HSC-based ex vivo gene therapy for globoid cell leukodystrophy --National MPS Society, Bangor, ME, for medical research grants --Pediatric Neurotransmitter Disease (PND) Association, Plainview, NY to fund one year of a two-year Young Investigator's Research Award --Retina Foundation of the Southwest, Dallas, TX, to support the Usher Syndrome Infant Screening Program --University of Rochester Medical Center, Rochester, NY -- research into Batten Disease.